Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting there...

Well the paint is getting there, I've removed the front fender, and I finished the striping on the tank cover and side covers.
Gotta touch up a few places and then wet sand with a super fine grit and put some clear coat on everything.

I put the handle bars on and I've run the controls, and lines with the new handlebars realizing I need shorter brake lines.

I've started ebaying some of the items I'm pulling off so I can raise some money for these alterations...mainly the new exhaust.

Sunday, February 15, 2009


Well I did the wet sanding on the painted plastics. It turned out great, removed the raised edge on the strips, and after I touched up the strip edges with a little paint I was ready to put some clear coat on.

Stupid clear coat...I applied it a little too close and got too much propellant on the paint which caused it to crack :(. I guess this is what I get for using spray paint.

Anyways, managed to fix it by sanding it back down to the bare plastic and started to repaint. So far so good. I have to do some sanding to fix and smooth out some parts but I'm pretty sure it'll be good in the end.

Moral to this: "Don't paint when it's windy out"

Monday, February 9, 2009

Now to see how it looks

After getting the paint done on the false tank plastics I decided to see how things would look...and to line up the other pieces of plastic.
Looks pretty nice...although where that glare is on the tank is actually some reflection of the adhesive of the tape that was used for masking purposes.

I'm thinking 800 or so grit wet sand should do the trick...I hope.
Any suggestions :)

Once a very light sanding which should remove the ridges on the strips and any adhesive from the tape, I'll clear coat the plastics to make sure it stays intact.

From this angle though the clubman bars actually look good...I'll need to lower the light and instrument cluster though to make it look aggressive.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Getting there, at least it has some paint

Well I managed to get the painting on the plastics started. I think it looks pretty good.
One thing to keep in mind next time I paint.
Double layer at least on the blue painters tape at least on heavy overspray areas. The tape in these areas tended to leave some of the adhesive on the base coat of black paint...which stinks.

I need to touch up some of the striping in two places and it should be good, so while I'm doing that I'll get the black paint touched up as well.

Not too bad for a first time.

Here's the picture before the paint, with the new clubman handlebars on...not sure I'm liking the way they sit though...

Friday, February 6, 2009

Awesome, I got some parts in.
Clubman bars, some headlight brackets, tac cable, and grips.

Best thing about this is the fact that it's going to be warm and nice outside...which is where I have to work on my bike.

So tomorrow will be prepping and painting the plastics, and putting the handlebars on and seeing how it looks. Then pictures.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Paint and shiny

Yay I've started the process of prepping parts for old aluminum is hard to get shiny.
Road gunk is annoying.

After quite a bit of steel wool and metal sanding to remove the gunk, crustyness i've gotten to the shinyness underneath.

The other pieces were painted about two weeks ago.
I'm looking forward to getting the rest primed and painted shortly.

I'm going to paint the coolent system red/black to make it stand out from the rest of the engine. It should be more of a highlight then an least I think so. It'll be buried under the carbs, and behind a radiator for the most part...

The false tank and the lower plastics on the goldwing will be black, but it'll have a red racing strip of a sort going down it. I'll have to mess with some photoshop to see how I wanna do it.

I'm excided about getting some parts in as well, got some clubman bars and some headlight brackets which should be in by the end of the week. :)
Pictures will be up later once some photoshop experiments happen.