Friday, July 29, 2016

CB 750F Redux

Picture dump of the 750 with a new coat of paint, saddle bags, and velocity stacks. Runs pretty well. Still tuning carbs up at the 1/2 throttle to full throttle point. Idle and Main jet have been upped to account for the higher flow stacks and exhaust, however, there is still some hesitation / popping from 1/2 throttle to full in 4th and 5th. Probably need to adjust the needle clip and richen it up.

Saturday, May 21, 2016


Handle bar, Regulator/Rectifier are on. Now I just need to find a good tail / headlight, add the battery fix the front brake and add new coils / wires. And add a seat pad. At least those are the main things.

Monday, September 15, 2014

1976 CB750F is done and riding

Basically a picture dump of the bike. It's finally done and reliable (knock on wood). I had three issues this spring which took it out of commission for a good chunk of time. First issue: oil starvation at the top end on one side of the camshaft. I smoked camshaft and rockers on the left side. Luckily the camchain, and primary chains internally in the engine didn't snap. I 'simply' swapped in a new camshaft and rockers and camshaft holder and was back up and running. Charging issues: oh old bikes always have this don't they. Turns out the cheap Reg/Rectifier I got from ebay was exactly that, cheap. It blew out and I sourced a new one from a motorcycle shop in town. Luck held that I didn't have issues with the stator which is what I thought at first. A quick check on the winding resistance proved that they were still in good condition ~ 7 ohms without any of the windings shorted to the block or open circuit. Last issue...this is my fault for rushing the cleaning the tank process. Still got stuff gumming up the petcock every once in a while. I'll have to drain the tank this winter and really do a through clean to get the loose rust / grit out. Good thing I have an extra fuel filter in line to the carbs. Can't rely on the internal tank one. Eventually I'll get / fab up some side covers that match the bike. The driver side one I banged out of some sheet metal to cover the electronics and rattle canned it's not pretty.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Long time between gets busy I guess

 1973 CB350F at Vintage Days in Mid-Ohio this past summer.
Good times. I got quite a few complements on the old bike.
CB750F, Finally coming together

The project bike has gone from a rusted out heap to something that actually resembles a motorcycle. It's getting closer, I'm hoping to have the bike running by the fall time. I've sorted the electrics out, now I just need a few minor thing to finish it out and I'll be up and running.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Making progress

Well while the 750 waits on a new wiring harness...I really didn't feel like debugging 40+ year old wires. Not to mention, no matter how much flux, cleaner, and heat, the solder wouldn't take on the old wires.

So 80 bucks later...a new harness is on the way. It's a small price for my sanity (whats left of it anyway).

I decided I'd work on another project that'd been sitting on the shop floor.
Really kinda getting on my partners' nerves. So with that motivation, I figured I'd get the '75 CB400F rolling.

This started as a bunch of tupperware containers, a frame, and a motor...all separate.
Got it off of one of my friends for a good price since he had too many toys and was looking to offload the ones he'd never get to. I lucked out. I really like the 400F.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Exhaust is on

Yay, a small step but it's the little things that eventually add up.
Got the exhaust on. It just took a little massaging the pipes into the exhaust ports.
Should seat nicely once its run in a bit.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

New Developments

So after a very long break, house things getting in the way.
(The house owns you, you never own the house)

The really cool 1978 Goldwing is now off to a better place, after making its way around craigslist.

I've finally gotten the engine for the 1976 CB750F into the frame.
This took a bit of doing, and some unfortunate events with broken engine studs. Which required me to pull the engine back out, tear it down again and then rebuild with new studs, cam chain ( cause I might as well) and some non-burnt out valves, and stronger springs.

So a lot of work has happened on the 750 since the last post, there's still a far amount left.
I just need to start working through the immediate list:

Rear Sets
- Fabricating the rear set brackets, I want to avoid having to weld a fixed bracket to the frame

- The rats nest that is old electrics, will be meeting a swift end with the addition of a solid sate rectifier / regulator instead of the mess that was the older semi-discrete electrics without the rectifier / regulator in one.

- Well it looks as if the 'Fits 1976 CB750 models' descriptor on the exhaust I want to use is slightly exaggerated. This will require some more looking into, possibly the exhaust studs can be taken out for the exhaust to fit.